Year THREE in Zacango here we come...







Saturday, May 8, 2010

Pig Dreams

I'm not sure that I've ever introduced our "new" pig on the blog. We actually got her about 8 months ago but I don't think I introduced her because it took us a while to become "friends." Ziko wanted to name her "Cookie" and Hizee insisted on "Oreo" (because she is white with black spots); so she became both: she is "Oreo Cookie."
When I got Oreo she was nearly a year old and completely wild. She was thin and scraggly and didn't eat when I feed her. Bruce wanted to send her to slaughter even though she was all of 20 pounds but I thought we should stick with her. We dewormed her, kept feeding her (she became fond of left-over pizza and other kid food scraps), and slowly journied toward being both plump and gentle. She now enjoys being scratched behind her ears and on her belly (much like a dog).
Nearly everyone in Zacango knows about my dream to own piglets. (When I was a kid I loved hanging out at my Uncle John and Auntie Rose's pig farm admiring the precious piglets. ) So when we were gone over Christmas our neighbour Luis put Oreo with his boar and 3 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days later I had my dream come true.
I sometimes think about how crazy people think I am over my obsession with piglets (sometimes I care, sometimes I don't care) so I felt a bit vindicated when our entire neighbourhood came out to watch the piglets' birth and our teenage neighbour, Herminio recorded the ENTIRE event on his cell phone...maybe I'm not such a crazy gringa afterall!
We are thuroughly enjoying the little cuties: 3 males and 1 female. There names are: Tele, Jig, Eggy, and Strawberry Shortcake. Dreams can come true!!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: